Trump cuts billions more in approved US foreign aid

World Saturday 30/August/2025 16:10 PM
By: DW
Trump cuts billions more in approved US foreign aid

Washington DC: US President Donald Trump cancelled $4.9 billion (€4.2 billion) of congressionally approved foreign aid funding, the White House announced on Friday, adding that the president would "put AMERICA FIRST!"

In a letter, Trump informed House of Representatives Speaker Mike Johnson that funding would be withheld for 15 international programmes.

Democratic Party lawmakers opposed to the foreign aid cuts said Trump's decision raises the likelihood of a federal shutdown later in the year.

The US Constitution grants Congress the power to allocate spending and requires the White House to get congressional approval if it does not wish to fund government operations.

However, Trump bypassed Congress with a "pocket rescission," a little-known procedure that has not been used in nearly 50 years. Near the end of the fiscal year, the president requests not to spend approved funds and because lawmakers cannot act in a mandated 45-day time frame, the money goes unspent. This fiscal year ends on September 30. 

Along with widespread Democratic disapproval for a tactic last used in 1977, some moderate Republican politicians have also expressed opposition to Trump's effort. 

Republican Senator Susan Collins of Maine, who oversees spending legislation as chair of the Senate Appropriations Committee, called Trump's move illegal.

"Instead of this attempt to undermine the law, the appropriate way is to identify ways to reduce excessive spending," she said. "Any effort to rescind appropriated funds without congressional approval is a clear violation of the law."

The White House said Trump has a "solid legal basis" for the maneuver.

Democrats say aid cuts increase chance of shutdown
Democrats reacted negatively to the announcement, saying attempts to reverse funding that has previously been approved by Congress would destroy negotiations within the legislative body later in the year.

"It's clear neither Trump nor Congressional Republicans have any plan to avoid a painful and entirely unnecessary shutdown," said Senator Chuck Schumer, leader of the Democratic minority in the US Senate.

Although Republicans control both chambers of Congress, they require Democratic support in the Senate to pass new spending laws, meaning they could lead to a "shutdown" of government when the next fiscal bills come up for approval.

USAID slashed since Trump's return
Since taking office for the second time, Trump has sought to shut down USAID, which was the world's largest humanitarian aid agency.

Secretary of State Marco Rubio has cut 85% of its projects, after the body was folded into the State Department.

The majority of the new cuts will hit USAID funding. Additionally, a large portion set aside for peacekeeping missions would fall under Trump's current order.

"This is going to make our budget situation or liquidity situation that much more challenging," United Nations spokesperson Stephane Dujarric said.